As it’s almost the holiday season, I couldn’t help myself..
I forgot 3 CRUCIAL things though:
1. You must always – under pain of bad sex for 7 years – look in the eyes when toasting
2. You may never – under pain of bad sex for 7 years – cross the arms of another person when toasting
3. You must ALWAYS – under pain of no sex for 17 years – take a drink before setting your glass down
In order to be able to renew my residency card here in France next year, I got to/had to spend a day in a “civil education” class sponsored by the Office of Immigration. I say “got to” because while the morning was a bit slow (history, symbols of the republic, legislative vs executive vs judicial, etc) the afternoon reserved some pleasant surprises.
For example, did you know :
- female mutilation is a huge crime in France (as it should be), punishable with up to 20 years in prison and a huge fine, due to the psychological and physical problems the little girl can have later in life, while circumcision is permitted but not enforced and can be refused since it has nothing to do with the little boy’s health
- Marianne (a French symbol) always shows a part of her breasts to represent that France is supposed to take care of its citizens
- foreigners were welcomed with “open arms” in the 50s because a huge number of young men had died during World War I (…not so much the case now. “sorry”
- you have to ask the mayor’s office to expand your house — I didn’t think you had to ask anyone in the U.S. but now I’m wondering, do you??? I can just see some guy going ‘fuck that I’m building a goldfish racing room on to my back deck and the Man can just stick it in his [censored] if he doesn’t like it’
- you CAN’T sell your body parts in France. Yes, you can pack up your ice kit. Sorry.
- you can’t have polygamous relationships. Nor, in response to the gentleman sitting behind me (true story), can you PACS multiple women. Again, sorry.
- it’s actually kind of difficult to be put in jail in France. Immediate reaction: who’s up for skinnydipping in Versailles’ fountains?? (once it gets warmer..clearly.)
- There’s a separation in the minds of many of Paris vs. the rest of France because it’s only been since the 70s that France’s regional departments have any power! Ah HAH! That clears some things up….
- hospitals now have ROBOTS that perform the circumcisions
- some groups talk a lot about circumcision. Paid for with the French peoples’ taxes🙂 thanks!
I would love to hear your feedback on some of these😉
The rest of the “day in a life” videos are here